Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Perception Is Everything

My eyes were opened this weekend and I feel like I'm seeing things a bit more clearly now.

I went to visit a friend in the hospital.  He suffered a head injury a little over two months ago while riding his bike and is on the long, slow road to recovery.

While I was visiting with him and his wife, he had a physical therapy session.  With the aid of a lift, he was able to stand up.  I don't think one truly appreciates the effort it takes to stand up or to hold up one's own head.  The therapists worked with him for a solid five or ten minutes.  By the end he was exhausted.  They helped him back into bed and, though he was a sleep a few minutes later, he did motion to his wife to come close and once within reach, he pulled her to him.  That moment was the best.

The strength and fortitude exhibited by my friend and his wife are inspiring. While I can understand a small piece of their journey (the one dealing with the bullshit between hospitals and insurance companies), I cannot begin to comprehend having to relearn the basics. I cannot comprehend wondering if things will ever get completely back to normal.


I found myself thinking about Morgen and her learning how to sit up, crawl, grasp things, etc.  I even remember her and Sonne learning how to nurse in the NICU.  How much work goes into learning what become simply, everyday tasks which we, as adults take for granted.


I did something to my back last night -- most likely while trying to get the dogs inside during a 2:00am barking fit.  I kicked the dog beds out of the way and pushed the trunk in front of the dog door to keep them inside.  I'm sure in the process I wasn't paying attention and tweaked my back.  As the day has progressed, the tightness has increased and the knots have become more pronounced.  I put on a patch prescribed for pain relief and to reduce inflammation.  I took some ibuprofen. 

I have little to no relief and find it incredibly difficult to move and yet I am so grateful.  I am still able to move.  This pain will subside and I'll be back to full mobility in a few days.  I am lucky.

Yes.  I am a fortunate woman and I am going to try harder to not take the simple things for granted.

Despite the back pain, I'm going to hug my daughter a little tighter, a little longer.  I'm going to throw my arms around her father the moment he gets home on Saturday.  I'm going to tell people that I love and appreciate them more often.  I'm going to strive to always come from a place of gratitude and compassion.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment