Friday, November 5, 2010

Thoughts...

I wouldn't call it a backlash, per se, but we've been met with some skepticism about being so open about the IVF process.  I understand peoples' surprise, but at the same time, talking about this, blogging about this...it is what has kept me sane.

I've always been one to internalize things.  It is a habit which started as a shy and insecure kid and still happens as a successful and confident adult.  There are just some things which are better kept to one's self.

But not this.  Not being able to conceive on our own has loaded us both with so much stress.  Of course, studies have shown that stress can effect our hormones and actually be a cause of infertility.  So, in order to contend with that stress, we decided to be open about the process.  Not just with our family, but also with our friends and colleagues.  And when I started writing this blog, it was my husband who encouraged me to share it to Twitter and Facebook.

Here's the reality -- so many couples wait until they are older to start thinking about starting a family.  The older we get, the harder it is to get pregnant.  It's just a fact.  We have a number of friends who are our age who are trying to conceive as well.  We wanted to make sure people knew there were options.  We wanted our experiences to be available to them, even if they didn't want to ask us directly.

One of the best things for us is having a very close couple give us the benefit of their experience five years ago.  Having my girlfriend's shoulder to cry on was invaluable and, looking back over the past six months and all the treatments and procedures, I can honestly say that I could not have done this without the support of my husband, family and friends.

And now that we're done with IVF, we're looking forward to sharing the experience of my pregnancy and the birth of our daughter(s) with everyone as well.

Oh...yeah.  I know many people will be thinking "Isn't it a bit early to tell people?" but, as Eric and I discussed this morning: This is our journey.  We get to choose who we share it with and when we share it.  Everyone has been there supporting us through all the disappointments.  Why wouldn't we share our good news and excitement with them as well?

Our first OB ultrasound is scheduled for November 17th.  We should know then if we're having more than one daughter.  And if my math is correct, I'm due around July 12th.

3 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog and for the past week have been wondering, more like hoping, that no news was good news. It was!! I'm so so happy for you both! My deepest and most sincere congratulations to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIght on - we need more parents like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a quote by Henri Nouwen that says "What is most personal is most universal." Sharing our lives with each other in such transparent ways moves us closer to each other. Thank you and Eric for sharing. Susie M-H

    ReplyDelete