Sunday, October 24, 2010

Restful

I'm about 20 hours into my 48 hours of bed rest.  Yesterday I was actually pretty tired, but today I'm full of energy.

So, Thursday 12 embryos were biopsied.  Friday morning I got the call scheduling the embryo transfer for Saturday at 10:30am.  The hadn't received the results of the genetic testing yet, but they wanted to get me scheduled all the same.

I woke up Saturday morning early.  The house was dark and quiet.  Eric was already awake.  I could smell the coffee perking.  It was cool in the bedroom and I was snug and warm under the blankets and I honestly thought it was Christmas morning.

We grabbed breakfast on the way to the clinic at one of our favorite places on Melrose, shared some good laughs and great conversations with the other regulars and then we headed out with oodles of well wishes on our side.

As we were waiting to be brought back for the transfer, our doctor arrived and said he was glad to see us there.  We told him that we hadn't heard the results of the testing and he sat down next to us to give us the news.

Of the 12 embryos, only four were normal.  Based on our ages, he said that ratio is pretty much right on target.  He said that for sure we had one star blastocyst.  He was going to get the growth report and we'd go over everything once we got to the transfer room.


Embryo #1 is our blastocyst.  Embryo #2 is at the morula stage (e.g., day 4).  Embryo #6 is a 12-celled embryo which is typically for late in day 3.  Embryo #7 is only 6-celled, so, while genetically normal, they weren't optimistic that it would grow any further.  These pictures were taken at approximately 7:20am.

We discussed which embryos would be transferred with our doctor and with one of the lead embryologists and we decided to transfer 1, 2 and 6.  I was prepped and by the time the embryos were brought in for transfer, embryo 2 had developed into a blastocyst and was hatching and embryo 6 was compacting to the morula stage.  Great news!

We were on our way home around 12:30.  The sun was shining and the air was so clear.  There's something about Los Angeles after it rains and, after a week of on-and-off rains, the city sparkled more than usual after a storm.

And now I'm just resting.  I've got loads of energy today, but I shall continue to follow doctor's orders and do a whole lot of nothing.  I'll just rest and let Eric keep taking care of me.  This morning he even made pancakes for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment