Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Running the Numbers

Cycle 1:

11 injections
1 cancellation due to elevated estrogen

Cycle 2:
16 injections
9 blood tests
6 ultrasounds
1 surgery
4 embryos transferred
0 pregnancies

I'm not even going to get into the financial costs since most of those are still pending with insurance and I'm not at all sure how much we're going to have to pay out of pocket.

Eric is calling later today to make an appointment for us to meet with Dr. Ghadir (hopefully Friday) to go over the cycle and the detailed lab sheets to see if there is anything which indicates why none of the embryos implanted.  Depending on what that shows, we'll try again.

It has not been easy.  Since we started trying to conceive there has been so much hope and so much disappointment.  Every month when I would get my period it would be a disappointment, but at least it wasn't debilitating.  I mean, at least there was fun in trying, right?

The negative home pregnancy test after trying IUI was harder.  I had just hoped even more so that with that little bit of help we'd be there.

Now we've gone through a full IVF cycle and still have a bit fat negative staring us in the face.  When I got the news at 4pm yesterday, I cried...again.  It the hardest I've cried since we started this journey back in February 2009.  I cried so hard that my eye lids are still puffy.

So today I'm wearing what I am calling my power outfit.  It's what I wore on Eric's and my first date.  I wore it again on the night we went out to celebrate our engagement.  So, for what it's worth, I at least look hot, even if I'm not really feeling hot.

1 comment:

  1. "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." Martin Luther King, Jr.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete