Thursday, September 2, 2010

Take Me Out To The Ball Game!

My phone rang around 11am Wednesday morning.  The caller ID read "Dr. Shahin Ghadir Work" and my heart skipped a beat.  When he called with the fertilization report on Tuesday he indicated that we would speak again on Thursday, so I was caught off guard upon seeing his name on my phone.

Now you have to understand.  There has been much talk of late in my office about a curse.  A number of coworkers have had family members pass away.  Others have been in car accidents or horse riding accidents or were simply afflicted with random, albeit not life threatening, ailments.  And while I'm not one to believe in such things, it has been such a prevalent topic of conversation as of late that for a split second I thought "Oh no.  Please don't tell me something happened to our potential embryos."

Thankfully my moment of worry was quickly replaced with joy.

"Good news," the doctor said.  "All the eggs that didn't fertilize with the natural process were directly inseminated and two more have fertilized.  It's called delayed ICSI."

"Wow.  Great.  I'm always happy to have our odds increase."

I thanked him for the call and quickly called Eric with the news.  He was just as happy as I.

Then I called my mom and confirmed that there are, indeed nine players fielded on a baseball team.  She and I chatted about how I'm handling all the meds I'm currently taking and a little bit about her starting to look at plans for coming out for a visit to help me when the time comes.

Then it was into a staff meeting where the curse was again mentioned.  I leaned next to a coworker I'm close to and said, "The curse doesn't exist.  We now have nine eggs fertilized.  If we were cursed the number would have decreased, not increased."

In the afternoon I spoke to Eric's folks.  He had spoken to them very briefly, so I explained more about it.

Later today I'm expecting a call from the doctor to get an update on the zygotes development.  I'm hoping that he can email me a picture of them.  Not that I expect I'll be able to tell which look like they are developing normally, but just to get a look at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment