Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lucky Number Seven

Yesterday was the egg retrieval.  We left the house at 6:30am and we home around 10am.  By far the worst part was the starting of the IV. 

The procedure was incredibly quick and I woke from the anesthesia quickly and easily which is unlike my normal waking from sedation experience.  And, despite the Versed they administered moments before wheeling me in for the procedure, I do remember everything.

The embryologist I spoke to was named Jessica. 

Dr. Ghadir joked that my socks looked so comfortable that they might have to pass them around and let everyone try them on.  I responded that I was okay with that since I would be out anyhow, but that I would likely notice them being stretched out.

There is a hole in the operating table.  One's tail bone needs to be just above it.

And I remember the slight tingly feeling as the sedative was administered and them lifting my legs into the rests as I fell asleep.

I also remember Dr. Ghadir coming to see me shortly after I had awakened and saying he didn't see Eric in the lobby.  I told him that he was probably on his way back from breakfast.  That's when I first learned that they were able to retrieve 15 good looking eggs.  Then he departed and said he'd come back once Eric was there.

Moments later Eric was at my side and I told him they got 15.  He apologized for not being there when I woke up and I said not to worry about it.  Ghadir came back and asked him "How was breakfast?"  Eric said it was good and said that I told him they retrieved 15 eggs.  Ghadir looked at me and remarked, "You remembered that?"  I told him I have an impeccable memory, even on Versed.

We then learned that the plan was to split to eggs into two groups: seven would undergo natural fertilization where the sperm and egg hang out together and do their thing; either would undergo the ICSI process where they directly fertilize each egg with a single sperm cell.

As of this morning, seven eggs from the ICSI process have fertilized.  That's it.  And it's good news, but I can't help but wonder about the eggs which were in the dish with the sperm.  What if one of those were genetically brilliant?

Now we wait until Thursday to see how those lucky seven are developing and, assuming all progresses well, two embryos will be transferred into my uterus on Saturday morning.

Until then, it's lots of various meds to get the aforementioned uterus ready for implantation.

We're getting there.  Little by little.  Step by step.  Zygote by zygote.

2 comments: