Friday, August 27, 2010

Ovary-chiever

I have always been one of those people who try to hard.  Always putting in extra hours at work.  Always trying to do more in less time.  Always going non-stop and feeling like I haven't gotten anything done.

And my ovaries are apparently no different.  As of this morning I have 15 follicles dancing on my ovaries (nine of them one the left side alone).  They now range from 14 - 22mm.  I thought I heard the tech say that one was 29x14mm, but when I sat down with my nurse Maria a while later, I didn't see 29 on the chart.  Perhaps I misheard or misread the upside-down chart.  Who's to say?

Maria is fairly certain that the doctor will want me to stimulate one more evening, but that decision won't be made until they get back the results of my blood work.  If they decide to trigger me tonight, then I'll go in for blood work tomorrow morning and the egg retrieval on Sunday.  If they opt to stimulate one more night, then I'll be back in tomorrow morning for another ultrasound and more blood work and hopefully we'll trigger that evening which would mean blood work again on Sunday and the egg retrieval on Monday.

Anyway you slice it, I'm going to be a walking pin cushion as a result of these daily blood draws.

And while I'm ready to get on with this, I'm now finding myself with this internal debate: I'm 99% sure my doctor is rarely in the office on the weekends.  Given that the retrieval will be on Sunday or Monday, that means the embryo transfer would take place on the following Friday or Saturday, respectively.  I think it's reasonable to assume that my doctor will only be present for one of those two procedures and I'm not sure entirely sure if I feel more confident in his retrieving the eggs or transferring the embryos.  Of course all the doctors in the practice are capable and one of them would fill in if he doesn't happen to be available on any given day (weekend or otherwise).  It's just that I feel comfortable with him.  I feel like he understands my particular brand of neurosis with this process.

Oh well.  There really isn't anything I can do to change the timeline at this point.  It is what it is.  Two embryos will be transferred five days after the retrieval, assuming there are mature eggs which fertilize normally.  Even if Dr. Ghadir isn't present for one of the procedures, he's been actively monitoring everything this we started this back in May.

At this point I just need to breathe and believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment