Friday, August 20, 2010

Stimulating

On Tuesday I went in for an ultrasound and more blood work at 7:30am.  I did my best to keep busy at work while waiting for the results of the tests.  By 5pm I could barely think straight.  I could not help but imagine that my hormone levels were still out of whack and we'd have to wait another month before we tried again.  Thankfully, I my imagination proved to be way off.

A few minutes past five, my phone rang.  It was the nurse calling to say that all my test results were in and the doctor was very pleased.  All my hormone levels look good and my ovaries have 10+ little follicles all ready for stimulation.

So on Wednesday evening it began.  Our second IVF cycle, but the first with stimulation. 

I was completely freaked out while prepping the first injection.  It had been three weeks since the injection lesson, so I kept doubting that I was doing it right.  To top it off, the dogs were barking out of control, running in and out of the house, howling and just generally causing me to stress out during the process.

Nevertheless I got the vial loaded into the pen, attached the needle tip, dialed the dose and administered the first injection and WOW!  It stung!  Mind you, the medication was a bit chilly as it was supposed to be refrigerated prior to use and, while it says to let it get to room temperature before using, I didn't because it was late and I was doing this just before going to bed.  I decided I would do better the next time.

So, in anticipation of my second injection last night, I took the medication out of the refrigerator when I got home for work ensuring that it would have a good three hours to warm up 15 degrees.  Once again, I gave myself the injection right before bed.  It didn't sting as much, but it did still sting.

Whatever.  It isn't so bad that I can't handle it.

Tonight is the third FSH injection.  I haven't decided if I'm going to try something new to try and avoid the stinging sensation.  My guess is that I probably won't.

Tomorrow morning it's back to the RE's office for another ultrasound and more blood work.  Hopefully all will be progressing nicely so we can continue onto the egg retrieval sometime in the coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment